Friday, March 24, 2017

Government and the Soul

I thought our class last Tuesday was one of our most interesting. When it came to the discussion about whether or not the Republic is supposed to be a map for the city or the soul, we had so many different viewpoints being presented. Originally, I thought that Plato was only using as soul a metaphor. But upon some further reflection I've changed my mind and I think it is probably both. I decided this because I realized that it is almost impossible to separate you own personal emotion or even rationalizations from politics. No matter what you do, one will influence the other. I think that Plato probably recognized this too and that is why he chooses to use the city to describe the soul. Though, it would be much easier if Plato just told us what was going on and we didn't have to guess.

1 comment: